Emily’s Wild Dresser

I love how confident Emily can be when it comes to decorating her own room.  Meet her new favorite piece of furniture (although, to be  honest, I’m pretty smitten myself):

Screen Shot 2013-06-17 at 9.20.18 PM

Before & After

One of the major changes I wanted to make in the girls’ bedrooms was to switch their dressers.  Emily’s long, short dresser had drawers that were each painted a different color, so I gave it a fresh coat of white paint to help it fit in seamlessly with Julia’s existing furniture.  Julia’s dresser was tall and thin and completely white, but Emily and I thought that it needed to look a little funkier – something that better suited her personality.  And since I wanted to bestow the same creative freedom on Emily that my folks gave to me we sat down together in front of Pinterest and pinned anything that caught our eye.

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 10.12.35 PM

Screen Shot 2013-06-14 at 10.12.26 PM

Images found on Pinterest, no links to websites were available.

She absolutely fell in love with the decoupaged animal-print dresser.  I was thrilled because I already had the same paper leftover from Julia’s valentines the year before, so all I needed was Mod Podge and acrylic sealer.  Emily and I were so excited to start that we loaded Julia up in the car (seriously, Emily buckles her in for me) and headed to Michaels so that we could begin that night!

The process was pretty straightforward:

  1. I prepped the surface area I planned to decorate.  For me this meant slapping on a fresh coat of white paint just to freshen it up a bit.  Once dry I wiped them down with a clean cloth to be sure no stray sneezed-out cookie crumbs were sitting on top.  Ew.
  2. Very carefully I measured and trimmed the paper I planned to use.  I repeatedly checked my measurements to ensure that there was a .5″ border around each piece of paper and between the 2 sheets on each drawer.  Neither of us liked how the paper had such an obvious line down the middle of each drawer on the dresser above, so we decided to avoid that by intentionally leaving a white space between the two sheets (Emily’s idea – I was SOOO proud of her!).
  3. Using double-sided tape I temporarily stuck down the papers on the drawer fronts and poked a hole through the paper where the knobs would be.
  4. I then lifted the paper very carefully one side at the time and brushed a layer of the Mod Podge underneath the paper, then stuck it down and repeated with the other side.  Immediately after that I brushed a thick layer of Mod Podge over the top of the paper.  The paper did tend to wrinkle, so I pressed the air bubbles out with a finger.  On the last drawer I discovered that the paper wrinkled less if I brushed the top of the paper first, then underneath, then over the top again.
  5. Once fully dry I sprayed the fronts of the drawers with 2 coats of Mod Podge Acrylic Sealer, following the directions on the can.
  6. The last thing I did was add the knobs and slide the drawers into place.  And admire my work, of course!

Do you think she likes it?

P1030040

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Emily’s Wild Dresser

  1. That turned out Beautifully! I’ve always loved how you are so willing to tackle new things and run with it. Sounds like you and Emily are two of a kind. I can see her repainting chairs, dressers and such in her future, too! Great Job… Both of You!

Tell me what you think, I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s