I am BEYOND excited. It’s almost here – the reason I started running. My first 5K. Almost 2 years ago I took up running to lose weight gained during my second pregnancy (and some that held on from my first), and I thought that I might be more motivated to keep running if I set a goal for myself. That goal was to run the full length of a 5K. And that time has come. So I decided to make it a memorable one! In just 3 short weeks, I will be running in the Disney’s Happy Haunted 5K event! Not bad for a first, huh?
And I’m not doing it alone – I’m going with Sanne, one of my best friends and one of the most encouraging people I know. Let me insert here that Sanne never considered herself a runner (she’s more of an elliptical-ler), but downloaded the C25K app and has been working through it so that we can run the whole thing together. She’s just that amazingly sweet. And because my girl Sanne has 3 sons and a serious need to indulge in all things girly, she had this crazy idea to run the whole thing in tutus. Which I agreed to. Hey, if she can train herself to run 3.1 miles for me, I can don a poof of tulle for her, right? I’m also in the middle of making matching tank tops with candy-corn Minnie Mouse heads. We are totally psyched and determined to do this in style!
A little about the race:
- Obviously, it’s 3.1 miles. Which I can now run. As my brother would say, WOOT WOOT!
- It’s a “Fun Run,” meaning that they don’t record your time and they don’t award place medals.
- Every finisher receives a medallion. (Which I will proudly display around my neck in the months following the race).
- The run is considered “all-terrain,” and travels over grass, asphalt, and sand.
- Part of the course takes runners through a “haunted” forest with possible surprises lurking around corners. How cool is THAT?!
- Runners are permitted to wear costumes (with restrictions of course).
- Photographers will be taking photos throughout the race. Sanne and I are really hoping that we make it in some!
- Characters and entertainment throughout the run. It is, Disney, after all!
And every participant will receive the following:
- Finisher’s medallion (I’m excited about this one)
- iGift Bag
- Personalized bib
- The satisfaction of having completed a 5K.
Here’s a pic of the medallion they gave out last year:
The run is on, rain or shine! Unless there is lightning… please pray there is no lightning!
Did I mention I’m excited?